Corrections Officer I (A) Norton Correctional Facility
Important Recruitment Information for this vacancy:
Norton Correctional Facility
PO Box 546
Norton, KS 67654
About the Position:
- Who can apply: those who meet minimum qualifications (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Classified
- Full/Part-time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Shift work
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Hourly Pay Range: $20.13 for first 3 months.
- At 3 months $20.58
- At 9 months $21.13
- Currently, add an additional $3.50 to a maximum of $6.00 per hour worked as part of Govoner Kelly's temporary differential enhanced pay plan for 24/7 facilities!
- That could be $26.13 per hour on day 1!
Visit the Employee Benefits page for more information…
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
Job Duty Description:
A full position description and required essential physical functions for this classification can be obtained by contacting the recruiter listed below.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Performance Standards: CO I (A) s are evaluated on their ability to observe and recall inmate behavior, surroundings and events; write clear and complete sentences; respond to emergencies quickly, climb stairs, and use physical force to subdue violent and resisting inmates; remain alert over long periods of time; remain calm during stressful situations; and interact with inmates and co-workers to establish and maintain effective working relationships. The incumbent must be capable of performing Essential Physical Functions. An initial 12-month probationary period is required for new Corrections Officers.
- Supervises, maintains discipline and control of inmates at all time.
- Performs searches of inmates’ persons and physical areas in order to prevent and control contraband.
- Observes and monitors inmates’ activities and interactions while enforcing policy, rules and regulations.
- Follows established security procedure in controlling visitors, staff, inmate and vehicular traffic to prevent the admittance or exit of authorized persons and the introduction of contraband; takes and reports periodic counts of inmates.
- Responds to emergency situations in accordance with appropriate contingency plans.
- Subject to regular rotation or post and/or shift assignment within the facility.
- Corrections Officers are required to weapons qualify under KDOC guidelines during initial training and on an annual basis.
Licensing & Certification
Post-Offer, Pre-employment Requirements
- At least 18 years of age at the time of appointment; high school diploma or equivalent; valid driver's license; free of felony conviction(s); free of any felony and/or misdemeanor domestic violence crime as set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 922 (d) (9) and (g) (9); and No DUI convictions within the last 24 months. Positions in this class require that at the time of appointment the selected candidate must have taken and passed a drug screening test approved by the Division of Personnel Services unless promoting, transferring, or demoting from another safety sensitive position within the same agency.
- Must pass Pre-employment drug test and pre-employment physical.
Recruiter Contact Information:
- Name: Cynthia Hadley
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 785-877-6642
- Mailing Address: Norton Correctional Facility, PO Box 546, Norton, Kansas 67654
Job Application Process
- Sign in to your existing account or Register for a new one to apply.
- Complete or review your contact information on the My Contact Information page.
- Upload documents listed in the Required Documents section of the job posting to the appropriate location.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the preferred email listed on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers - My Job Notifications page
To assist in completing your application, please see helpful links below:
How to Claim Veterans Preference
Learn more about claiming Veteran’s Preference
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran"; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans' preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the recruiter.